I’m going to answer your first question right out of the starting gate…”What is a chia seed??”
Yes, it’s the same seed we used on our chia pets as kids, (I still say “Ch-ch-ch-CHIA!” every time I get them out of the pantry) but they actually have a lot of things going for them in the food department! From chia seeds alone, this recipe actually gives you 9 grams of protein and 15 grams of dietary fiber. For anyone trying to get more fiber and protein into their diet. My favorite thing to do with them is to make chia seed pudding! The possibilities are endless, but this one is my current go-to when I want a sweet treat but don’t want to reach for a processed pudding cup, which is full of sugars, carbs, sodium, and has no protein or fiber going for it.
So without further delay…here’s how to make some for yourself!
- Milk (about 1/4 of a cup)
- Chia Seeds (3 tablespoons)
- Cocoa powder
- Mini Chocolate Chips
- Shredded Coconut
- Almonds (whole or sliced)
- Add 1/4 cup milk and 3 tablespoons of chia seeds into a bowl and stir until all the seeds have been mixed with the milk.
- Let this sit for 10-15 minutes. I usually go with 10 because I like for mine to still have some liquid to them but it’s totally a personal preference. This allows for the seeds to absorb the liquid.
- Next, add the cocoa powder, chocolate chips, shredded coconut, and almonds according to your personal preferences.
- Stir it up and that’s it! It’s super quick and easy, super tasty, and has more nutritional value than plain chocolate pudding!
In case you’ve been wondering about the texture, it’s actually got the exact same texture as tapioca pudding (which is my FAVORITE). It is pretty bland without flavorings, so I highly recommend mixing it with at least chocolate the first time you try it! The seeds themselves are great for adding to smoothies for additional fiber and protein! They take the flavor of the liquid you use, so you could even try mixing them with strawberry milk, almond or hemp milk, or various juices!
My favorite way to make these is to actually throw everything in a mason jar before I leave for work. By the time I get to work, they’re ready to eat quickly while I get things ready for the day! Hope you enjoyed this quick and easy recipe!
Would you try chia seed pudding? Have you tried chia seeds before? Did you have a chia pet growing up? Let us know by commenting!